Thursday, March 06, 2008

Election Fever


I'm 23 years old this year and by right I am eligible to vote, but well, being an ignorant young adult, I am not a registered voter, hence, I can't shove that piece of paper in that black ballot box. I know I SHOULD be voting and like Dato' Gurdeep said, I'm just being stupid.
I've never been a big fan of politics and I dread every time (this is the 3rd time mind you) they announce that general election will be held soon. This is because, for me, I think the Malaysian general election will just bring out the worst in people. There's no maturity to it, no freedom of speech, certainly unfair and unequal television and radio air time given between parties, and just plain dirty. Also, there will be all three kind of fights between the two (gov and opp), verbally, mentally and of course physically. But this year, to my surprise (and thank God for that), the campaign has been a quiet one without any physical fights.
But before I say anything further, lemme just make it clear to everyone that I'm neither rooting for the government nor the oppositions. I'm just writing my 2 cents worth.
I do read newspapers may it be online or the real ones. I do have "serious and intelectual" discussion with my father about current issues. Heck, I even watch democratic debates on YouTube.com with Adan. But what I can honestly and bluntly say here is that, I know Barack Obama more than I know the Assemblyman (I don't know his name..never met him, never seen him on TV but I would love to know who he is...) who is supposedly represent our people. With 6 free television channels, a hundred more with Astro, numerous radio stations, many many publications, why can't there be more talk and debates especially about their mandates and stuff? By debate I meant the real, intellectual and mature ones. Not the punching and throwing chairs ones. These are the channels they should be using to reach to people and maybe discuss with people and let the people choose what's best for them. There's never an open discussion and many are left not knowing anything. All I can see on TV are just ill-looking advertisement, or the clips where the wakil rakyat "melawat" kawasan. Never I've seen about explanation what they are all about, and what they have to offer.
Well, I guess, if I was voting this year, I would have chose the "safe" one (not mentioning names, undi adalah rahsia =p). But come to think of it, I think if I could vote, I would vote for the one who will clean up the mess they've made during campaining. The hideous banners and posters...omg, someone should clean the mess up and make Malaysia pretty again. Let's not expect the rain and the sun to wash and dry everything up.
Anyway, this is just my ramblings and I do hope I won't get in trouble for writing some political sh*t.
I'm just a mere adult anyway.
What do I know, right?
=)