Thursday, March 27, 2008

Lumps and Bumps

I can't believe that surgery posting is over while I am still digesting over the fact that I am in my final year. Has it been 4 years, really?
Anyways, surgery posting this time around is busier than the previous one. We had to perform and observe more procedures, more cases to see and they have added a few more chapters for us to cover, namely, plastic surgery, pediatric surgery and management for general surgical cases. I've managed to see laparoscopic herniorraphy (hernia repair by the guidance of camera, don't let the medical jargon scares you off), removal of breast lump (lumpectomy), and a few other operations. I also managed to performed a minor operation with guidance and observation from a surgeon, whereby he let me perform rubber band ligation procedure. The procedure is not at all hard to do but well, being a medical student where everything is new and exciting, I can't help but to glee.
Yesterday was the first day of the end of posting exam where I had to clerk a patient with breast cancer. I may have fumbled one or two questions but it went well, thanks to the breast clinics I went to every Monday with Su Tein and Rina. =) Tomorrow is the written paper and I don't have a clue what they will ask but I am in no mood to study. I am aching to go back to PJ and see some familiar faces there.
Next up is Medicine. Ugh.