Saturday, December 13, 2008

Bitter Spinster

I am currently in my 3rd week of paediatric posting. I've never liked paeds before and I still don't like it now. It's not that I don't like kids..I do..that maternal side of me is still intact, I believe (well, with me wanting quite a number of kids once I get married, proves that I do loves kids, no?). It is just that pediatric is so different from the typical adult medicine. With kids, all they do is cry. Or vomit. Or cry. Or, they turn blue. That as a presenting symptom makes your life harder. And if it's not vague enough, there's the whole management for them. Mind you, in paediatrics, the management is quite different and it's more ma fan. Tedious. Different measurements, different doses, all different lah. And to top it off, there are a few "categories" of children - neonate, infant, toddler, preschool, adolescent. They all have different numbers and range values that we, the medical students, are required to memorize. Sigh. As if we don't have enough things to memorize.
Ok. Enough whining.
I've attended a few weddings this month, and the most recent one was today, my classmates' wedding in Slim River. The aposthrope came after the 's' because I know both bride and groom. Both of them are in the same batch as I am. It is actually not uncommon for medical students to marry their own batchmates. One of the doctors even said that it's either the girls have to have boyfriends now, and get married right before/soon after they graduate or they'll become a spinster all their lives. And the boys have to help the girls with this as well (I am not sure if she was joking about this or not). It is because of the work demand as a doctor later that'll prevent us from meeting people and have an actual social life. In a way, it is kind of true...there are a few female doctors who became head of departments and even hospital directors are not married. And oh boy, are they bitter. They are bitter about life, and somewhat became socially retarded. Sigh. Hope I won't end up like that. I don't want to be a bitter spinster doctor.

*this is my personal opinion and I'm not going to stereotype or generalize this to every single unmarried female doctor.

Owh, btw, what do u think of my new layout? You loike?? =) I have no freaking idea where to get a nice-r layout (and no time too!) so I settle with the one blogger is providing. Easy, breezy, beautiful...hehe..


...And there's a poll at the sidebar. If you're free, just answer those three questions. I'm not the one asking. Nuffnang is. =)