You were out with two of your friends for dinner and while waiting in the the line to be seated, the person in front of you was someone you know through another friend (or from your secondary school). She was just an acquaintance and you guys were never really that close. You were not sure at first as she has changed quite a bit but after a while you figured that it was really her and was quite sure that she saw the three of you standing behind her. She did not make any eye contact/body language/gestures to give you a sign that she knows and remembers you and neither she nor the three of you made the effort to say hi to each other.
Sounds all too familiar? I am sure all of us had faced the same situation or something similar and just because you were not that close or you've only met the person once or twice and haven't seen each other for years, you pretended that you don't know that person or just simply didn't see that him/her.
Most of the time the conversation would be like this:
You: Hie
That Other Person (TOP): Hie! How are you? You buat ape sekarang?
You: Still studying
TOP: Study ape?
You:
TOP: Owh..i dah kerja/still studying.
You: Owh...ok..
TOP: Well, I have to go, keep in touch k?
You: Yeah me too. Yes, we have to keep in touch.
**and you have to plaster a big smile on your face throughout this conversation.
Oh, the familiar scene isn't it?
However, the irony is, how ever much we hate those conversation, after those few dreaded lines, it is nice to know that they actually still remember you even though both of you have only said a few lines to each other and that was 5 years ago!
Well, yes, it is not wrong to just say HI and it is polite to say HI to the person you know. But what I'm trying to stress on here is, when I see someone whom I haven't seen for ages, it is nice to have a conversation with a little bit of substance in it and not just something that is forced.
But still, even if you don't have anything to say to me, whenever you see me next, just say hi. Or at least, smile. And I promise, I will smile back. =)