Thursday, May 21, 2009

Alive and kickin'

I've been away from home for the past 3 weeks for BTN and Induction as mention previously. I was reluctant and nervous since from what I heard, BTN is so rigid and strict with their rules, military like, and a programme to brainwash you to love the government. To my surprise, it was nothing like that! It was actually really fun. I was placed in some isolated place in Maran, Pahang along with another 100 medical graduates. Sure, we have to wake up as early as 5am, sleep in dorms, share one big toilet, march every morning, and even wear uniforms but we were also fed 6 times a day, eat like a horse, great food, and they were not as strict as some people said. We had discussions about the country, politics, etc and the great thing was, our facilitators were not just some government servants but most of them are diplomats. With their experience and ability to make us discuss and see things from different angles, I think most, if not all of us now understand better about our history (I learn more here than in secondary school), the racial issues (heavy stuff, man), and about the nation as a whole. Bagus sekali.
Induction was held in Mayangsari Resort, Port Dickson for 2 weeks. It was ok. Lectures 4 times a day, eat 5 times a day, swimming, walk along the (not so dirty) beach, sunsets, etc. Pretty much a paid vacation sponsored by KKM...=)
Anyway, as many of you might have heard, the goverment has placed me in Hospital Kuala Lumpur for the next 2 years to do my housemanship. I did not apply for HKL but alhamdulillah I got somewhere near my home, my family and my friends. I am excited to start working but at the same time I am nervous and pretty damn scared. HKL is known for centre of excellence, centre for refferals, centre of no parking, centre of everything lah. I don't know what to expect... but I do know that I'll be extremely busy, I'll be yelled at by my bosses and also nurses, and I'll be losing weight (this is a plus point la actually).
Am I ready? I don't know. Let's find out tomorrow as tomorrow morning I'll be reporting for duty in HKL.