Last night was my first time to be "on call" as a houseman. I was a nervouswreck during the day, not knowing what to expect since it was the ward's active day and usually on those days we'd be very very busy with new admissions. Plus, I'll be the only doctor in the ward with the other 4 nurses. Fortunately for me, the MO on call with me was the super nice Dr. E. Dr. E knew that I'm a first poster and first time being on call so he pretty much spent a longer time in Ward 26 compared to the other wards. He stayed until 2am to monitor the acute beds. Soooo nice of him, ok. Usually MOs will only come after dinner at about 830pm and won't come back/stay in the ward unless there's emergency. Thank you, God for giving a great boss...hehe...
Anyway, it was (again, thank you, God) an uneventful night. Only 4 new admissions and just one emergency case (the patient's BP dropped to 50/30mmHg regardless the 2 pints of gelafundin I ordered!). The rest of those 50 patients behaved well last night...no funny funny vital signs or collapsed patients =)
I was doubting myself about working 40 hours straight before this...never in a million years I would've thought I could actually do it. My daya ketahanan is not that bad after all, huh? Hehe..My next call will be this Sunday! =(