Saturday, July 02, 2011

Au Revoir, French Riviera

On the third (and last) day, we went to the famous flower market in Cours Saleya, which is the same area where we had our dinner for two consecutive nights. There are really beautiful and freakingly cheap fresh  flowers sold here..u can get 50 stalks of red roses for a mere 5€! Cherries, raspberries and strawberries are for 3.50-5€ per kilo! Was so tempted to buy..tapi nak simpan and bawak balik macam mana? 





Did the usual last minute souvenir hunting in the Old City too before we hit the beach. Apparently, Nice is famous for its olives other than its seafood. There were tons of olives-based and olive-related products sold there, especially soaps. I was drawn to the colours but not the smell though..so I did not get any of those and bought fridge magnets and mugs instead.

We went to the coastline at about 11am, picked a beach spot and rented 2 beach beds + umbrellas for ourselves. Took out our sunblock and sprayed it onto our skin sampai separuh botol and bukak payung besar besar supaya tak kena matahari and tak hitam. Typical asian tak nak gelap. Tapi unfortunately, tak berjaya. I am at least two tones darker after that.


According to our schedule, we were supposed to be at the airport by 6pm; meaning we had to be on our way there by 4pm. Since the airport is rather small and there aren't any fulfilling yet cheap food there, we had our lunch at one of the restaurants along the beach. Maria had "Red Mullet-mediterranean style" and I had this, erm, monster of a food.
The humongous seafood pizza. There were mussels, clams, baby octopus, red mullet, scallops, prawns and tuna on top of that huge piece of dough along with the overflowing mozarella and tomato sauce. I managed to eat only 1/4 of it and had it packed kononnya nak makan kat airport before boarding..but instead the pizza balik sampai Paris sekali sama-sama.


So kesimpulannya, Cote d'azur is a great place for a short holiday and I would really love to come back and visit Antibes, Cannes, and St. Tropez too next time insyaAllah if ada rezeki lagi. And if there's one thing that I'd like to share with you guys is that, if you are planning a trip to this little city, come with no expectation and let it surprise you with its charms.