We left Barcelona on a high note when we packed our bags to continue on to Rome. Before this trip, I downloaded the TV series 'Rome' kononnya to learn the city's history, in case it might come in handy..haha. It did not. Most of the historical buildings there are just buildings, monuments or ruins and not so much were told about Julius Caesar et al.
I like Rome. I really did. I just don't
love it. And I tried to love the place but I can just stop at 'like'. There's just something about Rome that I don't fancy. Maybe it was the heat? or the smelly metro? I don't know.
We stayed in Pulitzer Hotel, situated in Marconi, which is a bit far from the city center. The hotel was very nice and comfortable. We were upgraded to the suite at the top most level of this hotel because hubby is a Splendia card holder (probably the highlight of this trip) and the suite was really really nice and spacious.
 |
| Private rooftop/balcony outside our room |
The Metro (or Metropolitana as called by the Italians) is not as convenient and reliable as other big cities. Rome has only two metro lines, which are called A and B respectively. Line A closes at 9pm during weekdays while B runs until 11.30pm. This is really inconvenient especially line A is the main line that connects to the touristy places and if you're planning to stay out late, be ready to take a bus back to the hotel. This is however, is not their government's fault. It is not that they did not try to expand their public transportation but I was told that whenever they were digging the area to build more metro lines, the constructions had to stop sebab mesti terjumpa artifacts or some archaeology stuff. Kesian. But I really do think that they need to do something about the trains and the smell though. Train buruk conteng2 graffiti (kalahkan Paris) and no AC! Imagine, it was summer when we were there..sometimes it reached up to 37-38°C! And the smell..terbaik.Paling best. It feels like you're walking in a sewage system with hundreds of sweaty people.
Anyway, due to the heat yang super panas and the not-so-awesome weather untuk bersesak, we only visited a few places in Rome and we spent most of our time at restaurants to try out their pasta and pizza, and trying to find the best gelato in the world (which hubby thinks he has found it). Here are some of he pictures we took.
 |
| The Colosseum |
 |
| The 'Gladiators' |
 |
| Roman Forum + Palatine Hill |
 |
| Trevi Fountain |
 |
| Along the streets towards Pantheon |
 |
| Piazza Navona |
 |
| When you're at Piazza Navona, do search for this shop and try their melon gelato. To die for! |
 |
| Spanish Steps |
 |
| My Fruit de La Mer Spaghetti and hubby's Pesto Potato Gnocchi |
Rome is an expensive place to visit. A meal might cost you 20€ per person. The high end brands are slighly more expensive than the ones in other cities so, shopping tak perlu la di sini. I did have a great time tasting the food and desserts though. I think I gained a couple of kilos within that 4 days we were there. =S